Apr. 12, 2019 - PAO Severstal (MICEX-RTS: CHMF; LSE: SVST), one of the world’s leading vertically integrated steel and steel-related mining companies, today announces its operational results for Q1 2019.
Q1 2019 GROUP HIGHLIGHTS
1. Hot metal output increased 6% q/q in Q1 2019 to 2.36 mln tonnes (Q4 2018: 2.23 mln tonnes) following short-term maintenance works at BF#2 in the previous quarter. Crude steel production grew to 3.04 mln tonnes (Q4 2018: 2.94 mln tonnes) reflecting an increase in pig iron production and production growth of EAF billets.
2. Consolidated steel product sales increased 3% q/q to 2.83 mln tonnes in Q1 2019 (Q4 2018: 2.76 mln tonnes), following short-term maintenance works at rolling-mill facilities in the previous quarter and an increase in productivity of aggregates. The share of domestic sales rose to 65% due to their increased attractiveness of domestic sales (Q4 2018: 62%).
3. The share of high value-added (HVA) products within the sales portfolio remained flat at 44% (Q4 2018: 44%), driven by a decline in sales of semi-finished products, which was offset by higher sales of galvanised, colour coated and hot rolled thick plate.
4. Coking coal concentrate sales volumes from Vorkutaugol declined 1% due to long-wall repositionings at Vorgashorskaya, Zapolyarnaya and Komsomolskaya mines, but remained at historically high levels reflecting the high production rate.
5. Iron ore pellet sales declined 4% to 2.83 mln tonnes (Q4 2018: 2.94 mln tonnes) as a result of lower production volumes in Q1 2019 and a stock sell-off in the previous quarter.